It is National Dog Day, also known as National Dog Appreciation Day!
The purpose of this holiday is to show appreciation for dogs of all breeds and sizes, regular family pets, serving and guide dogs; to celebrate man’s best friend and all the things they do for people.
Are you looking for a fun and interesting way to celebrate this holiday? Here are some great ideas from NationalDogDay.com:
1. Adopt a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog or play with a dog, clean cages or anything else they need help with.
2. Have a safety check of your home to make sure it’s safe for your dog and others.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organizations.
4. Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells puppies.
5. Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of Puppy Mills and Gas Chambers in your state.
6. Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs!
7. Spend the day taking photos of your dog.
8. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog.
9. Buy your dog a fun new dog toy….or two…or five.
10. Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him or her to a doggy play resort.
11. Brush your dog to eliminate excess fur.
12. Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
13. Teach your dog a new trick.
15. Take your dog to the beach.
In honor of a strong bond between man and dog, this day is celebrated.
Happy National Dog Day!