This article will try and provide interesting facts about coyotes that we think you weren’t aware of:
1. The coyote has a very developed sense of smell which he uses for finding food and avoiding dangerous predators. They use their smell to spot a prey that is scurrying below the snow.
2. Coyotes use a wide variety of vocalizations in order to communicate with one another. Howls, yelps, and high-pitched cries are best known, but they also bark, growl, wail, and squeal sometimes. Family groups yelping in unison can create the illusion of a dozen or more performing together. Coyotes are most often heard around dawn and dusk. However, they may respond to sirens and fire whistles at any time of day or night.
3. In order to not get detected by predators, sometimes coyotes walk on their toes to make as little noise as possible.
4. Just like dogs, coyotes use their urine in order to mark their territory.
5. Coyotes use holes for sleeping and when they give birth to their pups.
6. The coyote doesn’t hunt alone; usually they hunt in groups of 2-3.
7. Their diet consists of rabbits, insects, mice, fruits, lizards and other foods as well.
8. The coyote is able to detect hunters coming from a mile away or even more.
9. The coyote reaches a respectable speed of 40 miles per hour.
10. The main enemies of the coyote are bears, wolves and of course, humans. Coyotes are able to escape their enemies easier as they have great swimming abilities. They also regulate their body temperature by panting.
All in all, the coyote is one of the most interesting creatures on this earth and people should try giving them the attention they need.